Want fun family Christmas pajamas but don’t want to pay the high price tag? I’ve got you covered with these DIY matching family Christmas pajamas.
I get matching family Christmas pajamas every year. I absolutely LOVE them. But what I don’t like about them is the price tag. Yes, I’ve found some good deals on Black Friday but a lot of years (like this year) I just don’t get around to ordering them early enough and then I pay a small fortune for them. If you’re sitting there like “Yes, I can totally relate” then I have got the perfect solution for you… DIY matching family Christmas pajamas. They cost a fraction of the price and you can customize them any way you want.
FAMILY CHRISTMAS PAJAMAS SUPPLES
- Cotton shirts – I like the Gildan brand because they are cheap and come in lots of colors
- HTV (heat transfer vinyl)
- SVG files (see below)
- Silhouette or Cricut
- Weeding Tools
- Cricut Easy Press (or iron)
- Cricut Pressing Mat
HOW TO MAKE MATCHING FAMILY CHRISTMAS PAJAMAS
First things first. Here are some basic posts on SVG files and Silhouette Studio. If you are a beginner when it comes to Silhouette Studio or need a refresher, make sure to read these posts first.
- How to Use SVG files: Tips, Tricks & Ideas
- How to Cut By Color in Silhouette Studio
- A Beginner’s Guide to Heat Transfer Vinyl
- Download the SVG file bundle. If you don’t want the entire bundle, you can also download individual files
– Save the Neck For Me
– Little Full Lotta Sap
– You Serious, Clark
– Merry Christmas, Sh*tter’s Full
– Where’s the Tylenol
- Open the SVG files into Silhouette Studio or Cricut Design Space
- Size the SVG files to fit each shirt. For our family pajamas, I put the “nice” quotes on the kids’ shirts and the “naughty” quotes on the adult shirts.
- Cut out the SVG files onto HTV. See this post for a detailed tutorial on how to cut HTV with a Silhouette.
- After the file is cut, weed the excess vinyl using weeding tools
- Center the design onto your shirts, place the pressing mat inside the shirt, and press with the Easy Press. You can find heat settings for the Easy Press here.
- Peel off the carrier sheet per the Easy Press heat settings instructions (cool peel vs. warm peel)
I love this DIY family pajamas idea because you can pair the shirts with any type of comfy bottoms and you have instant holiday pajamas. You can wear them with green or red leggings, sweatpants or holiday pajama pants. My kids are now 11 and 14 and not very into the matching family stuff anymore so I think this is a great compromise. They get to wear something festive without complaining and I get the fun Christmas morning pictures.
Pair these pajamas with these Christmas pajamas gift tags and you have the perfect present.
SVG FILE FAQs
How do I open these files in my Silhouette software? First, download the file and save it to your computer. If it is a zip file, unzip it. Next, open your Silhouette software and click FILE>OPEN and navigate to where you saved the file. You can also import the file(s) to your Silhouette library by clicking FILE>LIBRARY>IMPORT TO LIBRARY and navigating to where you saved the file.
Can I open SVG files in the Silhouette Basic Edition? No. You must have Silhouette Designer Edition to open SVG files. If you have Silhouette Basic Edition, you can only use STUDIO files. STUDIO files are specific to Silhouette. You can also use PNG files with Silhouette Basic Edition but you’ll have to first convert the PNG to a cut file.
Can this file be used with a Cricut? Yes. Any SVG file can be used in Cricut Design Space.
MORE CHRISTMAS IDEAS WITH A SILHOUETTE MACHINE
Easy Silhouette and Cricut Christmas Projects
Christmas Gift Tags with Silhouette Sketch Pens
Christmas Gift Tags with Silhouette
LOVE IT? PIN IT!
Leave a Reply