Custom koozies are fun and easy to make! Learn the basics of how to make a koozie with heat transfer vinyl..
Summer is here and it’s time for backyard celebrations, pool parties, and a whole lot of fun. With all that fun to be had, you’re gonna need drinks. And summer drinks need koozies. Making your own koozie with heat transfer vinyl is easy and the possibilities are endless. Once you learn the process, you can make koozies for special events like birthdays, graduations, bachelorette parties… anything at all. Today I’m laying it all out and showing you how to make a koozie with heat transfer vinyl.
BASIC SVG & SILHOUETTE STUDIO POSTS
- How to Use Silhouette Cameo 4: A Guide to Getting Started
- How to Use SVG files: Tips, Tricks & Ideas
- How to Import Files Into Silhouette Studio
- How to Weed Vinyl
- A Beginner’s Guide to Heat Transfer Vinyl
- How to Cut By Color in Silhouette Studio
- How to Separate SVG files into Layers
DIY KOOZIE SUPPLIES
- Heat Transfer Vinyl (I recommend Siser EasyWeed)
- Flamingo SVG file
- Silhouette Cameo or Cricut
- Cricut Easy Press 2
- Cricut Easy Press Mat – Amazon / Cricut
- Weeding Tools
- White koozie blank
HOW TO MAKE A DIY KOOZIE USING HEAT TRANSFER VINYL
- Grab the Flamingo SVG file here. This file is part of my flamingo SVG bundle.
- Cut out the SVG file onto heat transfer vinyl. Make sure to mirror your design in your software and set the blade settings to heat transfer vinyl. I have an in-depth Silhouette tutorial if you want to cut your design out using multiple colors of vinyl.
- Weed the excess vinyl from your design using a weeding hook.
- Set the EasyPress 2 to 335 degrees (recommended for Siser EasyWeed Heat Transfer Vinyl)
- Center the design onto the koozie. This flamingo design doesn’t require layering, but if you are using a design that needs to be layered, here is an easy tutorial for layering HTV.
- Press your design for 15-20 seconds with the Cricut EasyPress 2. Check out this post for more details on how to use the Cricut EasyPress 2.
- Let the carrier sheet cool just a bit (so you don’t burn your fingers… the carrier sheet gets SUPER hot) Then remove the carrier sheet by peeling it off slowly.
- If any of the vinyl is not sticking to the koozie, place the carrier sheet back onto the koozie and press again.
MORE SUMMER SVG FILES
SVG FILE FAQs
How do I open these files in my Silhouette software?
Save the file to your computer. If it is a zip file, unzip it. Open your Silhouette software and select FILE>OPEN and navigate to where you saved the file. You can also import the file(s) to your Silhouette library by clicking FILE>LIBRARY>IMPORT TO LIBRARY and navigating to where you saved the file.
Can I open SVG files in the Silhouette Basic Edition?
No. You must have Silhouette Designer Edition or higher to open SVG files. If you have Silhouette Basic Edition, you can use PNG files and convert the PNG to a cut file.
Can this file be used with a Cricut?
Yes. Any SVG file can be used in Cricut Design Space